The Trump administration completed its promise to replace historic educational panels on the site of George Washington’s home in Philadelphia with new panels that don’t focus on Washington’s owning of slaves. The National Park Service installed the new panels Wednesday morning on the the site, which is near where the Declaration of Independence was adopted on July 4, 1776, the Associated Press reported.
In 2025, President Donald Trump signed an executive order directing federally owned historic sites not to display information that would “disparage Americans past or living” but rather highlight the “greatness of the achievements and progress of the American people.”
The Trump administration panels still have information on enslaved people living in the household, as well as details on the abolitionist movement, how the Constitution treated slavery, and other historical information about the practice. However, the panels remove some details, such as a map of the slave trade route and a timeline on slavery. They also removed titles like “The Dirty Business of Slavery.”
Academics and other critics were concerned the change wouldn’t focus heavily enough on America’s sins in the past in favor of a perspective that focuses too much on America’s qualities.
An appeals court earlier this month ruled that the Trump administration could reinstall the panels. The ruling was a technical one that allowed the implementation of a ruling last month. In that ruling, the appeals court said a lower court was wrong to order the federal government to take down the new panels.
Trending
- You Vote: With Hamas saying they plan to demilitarize Gaza, should Israel trust that and withdraw?
- Johnson says he is convinced Republicans will grow House majority in November midterms
- Adam Carolla Brutally Destroys Chris Cuomo After Cuomo Texts Him Upset Over Retweet of His Own COVID “Bad Looks” — “Perhaps You Should Have Shut the F*ck Up Back Then”
- Trump Doubles Down on Declaring Strait of Hormuz U.S. Territory as Iran Threatens to Break U.S. Blockade
- Iran Denies Report of ‘Backchannel’ Negotiations with U.S.
- Federal Judge RELEASES Woman Accused of Defacing Sacred WWII Memorial — NO CASH BOND REQUIRED
- US ‘Ill-Equipped’ to Stop Drone Swarm Attacks, Top Military Official Says
- WW3 WATCH: Moscow Warns the UK Will Pay ‘A Higher Price’ for Supplying Ukraine With Drones Used in Strikes Deep Inside Russian Territory