President Donald Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner and U.S. special envoy Steve Witkoff are meeting Tuesday in Switzerland with Iranian officials for nuclear talks, according to a report.Kushner and Witkoff are to meet with Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, and Omani Foreign Minister Badr Al-Busaidi will be serving as mediator, an unnamed senior Middle East diplomat told MS NOW. The meeting is the latest diplomatic effort to avert U.S. military action against Iran.
“Joined by nuclear experts, I will meet [International Atomic Energy Agency Director General] @rafaelmgrossi on Mon for deep technical discussion,” Araghchi posted on X on Monday. “Also meeting [Omani Foreign Minister] @badralbusaidi ahead of diplomacy with U.S. on Tues. I am in Geneva with real ideas to achieve a fair and equitable deal. What is not on the table: submission before threats.”
Kushner and Witkoff previously met with Iranian delegates in Muscat, Oman, on Feb. 6.
Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Majid Takht-Ravanchi said his country is willing to reach a nuclear deal if the U.S. agrees to ease some or all of its sweeping sanctions, including restrictions on Iran’s oil exports, banking system, and access to the global financial network.
“We are ready to discuss this and other issues related to our program provided that they are ready also to talk about the sanctions. Because sanctions — as we call it, ‘illegal sanctions’ — those sanctions have to be also on the table,” Takht-Ravanchi told the BBC on Sunday.
“We cannot accept the notion that Iran has to do certain things without the other side committing itself to do their share. It has to be give and take; that’s what compromise is all about.”
Takht-Ravanchi also said that the issue of zero uranium enrichment, which the U.S. had been pushing for, is no longer an issue in negotiations, as far as Iran is concerned, which indicates that a deal may be reached.
Trump has called for regime change in Iran, and both he and the Iranian supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, have threatened each other with military action. The Defense Department sent a second aircraft carrier, the Gerald R. Ford, to the Middle East to join the USS Abraham Lincoln and other U.S. military assets.
“In case we don’t make a deal, we’ll need it,” Trump said Friday.
Iran has warned that, if threatened, it will target U.S. military bases in the region.
Trending
- AI ‘arms race’ risks human extinction, warns top computing expert
- Could Dogs Become a Wedge Issue?
- JUST IN: Trump Calls Out Maryland, Virginia, and DC Over Potomac River Sewage Spill – “These Democrat Caused Disasters, Both River and Shutdown, Will Only Get Worse… ACT FAST”
- Ingrate Explains Why Migrants Are Coming to the USA
- 8,000 Babies Have Been Saved Through Abortion Pill Reversal
- 10th Circuit hangs up on DISH stockholder suit over 5G foray
- REPLAY: Energy Secretary Wright Joins Fireside Chat on America’s Commonsense Energy Policy
- CT Democrat Calls Republican Aldermen “Nazi Bootlickers” — Then Warns That Bootlickers “Get Kicked In The Teeth” In Public Meeting