In the early hours of Sunday morning, a brutal attack in the township of Bekkersdal, just southwest of Johannesburg, left at least nine people dead and ten more wounded, police said on Sunday.The shootings occurred shortly before 1 a.m. at KwaNoxolo Tavern, a licensed local pub where people were socializing late into the night, according to Africanews.
A group of around a dozen gunmen arrived in a white minibus and a silver sedan, then suddenly opened fire on patrons inside the tavern. After the initial attack, the suspects continued firing randomly in the surrounding streets as they fled, striking both those trying to escape and passersby, CBS News reported.
Among the victims was a driver for an online vehicle service who had just dropped off a passenger near the tavern when he was caught in the crossfire, police said, according to reports.
Law enforcement agencies have launched a manhunt for the attackers, deploying forensic teams and investigators to piece together how the violence unfolded and identify those responsible. So far, no motive has been publicly confirmed, and no suspects have been arrested. Authorities are asking the public for any information that could help the investigation.
The shooting marks the second mass attack in South Africa within weeks, following another deadly incident earlier in December outside Pretoria.
Trending
- Iran expresses willingness to make nuclear concessions if U.S. meets certain demands
- White House Drops Epic Eagle Meme on Trudeau After USA Crushes Canada in Olympic Hockey
- USA Men’s Hockey Team Wins Olympic Gold in Absolute Thriller
- Chinese National Found Guilty in Gift Card Fraud of More Than $2 Million
- El Mencho, leader of Jalisco New Generation Cartel, killed in Mexican military operation
- We Found the UAPs at the London Fashion Show
- Paris Hilton Celebrated Her 45th Birthday As Most Do With A Birthday Suit Photo Shoot
- Was MAHA Too Good to Last in the Trump Administration?